Between 5-7 December 2018, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) held the All-Ukrainian International Humanitarian Law Competition 2018 in Kyiv. The Competition composed of a number of simulations performed by students’ teams, as well as an introductory workshop by international humanitarian law (IHL) experts and practitioners.
The Competition put the participants in the roles of humanitarian law practitioners who addressed simulated situations of an armed conflict. Besides, the students demonstrated their knowledge of IHL and public international law, showed their ability to present, advocate for, and defend legal positions of various actors, as well as to work as an efficient team.
After evaluating the written applications, the following teams, which received the highest overall rating, were selected for the oral rounds of the competition:
- Institute of International Relations of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv;
- Lviv National Ivan Franko University;
- Military and Law Institute of Yaroslav Mudryy Law Academy;
- Educational and Scientific Law Institute
- Law Institute of Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University;
- International Trade and Law Faculty of the Kyiv National Trade and Economics University;
- Law Faculty of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv*;
- Institute of Law and Psychology Lviv Polytechnic National University;
- Law Faculty of Vasyl Stus Donetsk National University.
The winners of the All-Ukrainian International Humanitarian Law Competition 2018:
After the oral rounds, the teams of the Institute of International Relations of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv and the Legal and Military and Law Institute of Yaroslav Mudryy Law Academy became the finalists. The team of the Institute of International Relations of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv was announced as a winner of the competition.
Besides the best team, the jury also selected the best orator. Artem Chumak from the International Trade and Law Faculty of the Kyiv National Trade and Economics University received an individual award of the best orator.
* Because of the unforeseen circumstances, the team of the Economic and Law Faculty of the Mariupol State University could not participate in the Competition. We hope they will have a chance to participate in the competition the following year. According to the Competition Rules (Article 5.2), we identified the team, which received the next highest score after the written round. This was the team of the Legal Faculty of the Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University.